Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Apricot Rum Bundt Cake

This is not just any bundt cake, this bundt cake has won five 1st place blue ribbons and 1 best in show award at the Kern County Fair.  After you try it you'll know why.  I wish I could give credit to the author of the cake, but in all my searching I haven't been able to locate the original article.  Someday I hope to give credit where credit's due.  On a side note, when I lived in Bakersfield California I loved getting together with my mom and trying new recipe's.  This one was love at first bite.  I mean it.  My Grandmother came over and we shared a piece with her.  We sent some home with her to share with Grandpa, and later found out that she hid it from him so she could have it all to herself.  So now without further ado~

Apricot Rum Bundt Cake
preheat oven to 350, grease and flour bundt pan.

Cake
1 17oz can apricot halves drained (save juice for syrup)
Puree apricots.  In a large bowl combine pureed apricots with the next five ingredients
1 cup chopped walnuts (I usually substitute pecans because of family members that are allergic to walnuts)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice

sift together in a small bowl the next 5 ingredients
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon cinnamon

combine in a cup
1 teaspoon rum extract
1/4 cup milk

syrup
1 cube butter
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup apricot juice
1/2 tsp rum extract
Put ingredients except extract, in a small pan.  Bring to a boil until butter and sugar are dissolved.  Add extract, cool and pour over cake.

Fold flour mixture and milk mixture alternately into apricot mixture.  Pour into pan and bake 45-50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  Poke holes in hot cake and pour syrup over cake letting it absorb as much as possible.  Let cool 30 minutes in pan, turn out onto cake plate.

No comments: