Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Chewy Caramel Corn

I consider myself quite spoiled when it comes to caramel corn.  Growing up my mom always made this delicious chewy caramel corn that would leave my sisters and I fighting for any caramel on the sides of the bowl.  In my head (and maybe sometimes out loud) I would laugh at what others called "caramel corn" they would bring to church or school functions.  What I'm snobbishly trying to say is that nothing compares.

Chewy Caramel Corn
from my mom

Pop and clean 2 batches of corn and set aside in a large tupperware bowl

syrup
2 sticks butter
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla

make syrup ~ in a medium size pot melt butter, stir in brown sugar, light corn syrup, and salt.  Bring to a full rolling boil stirring constantly.  Remove from heat.  Stir in baking soda and vanilla.  Pour over popped corn, and stir well.

Store leftovers (if any) in an airtight container

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Melissa, You made a chinese noodle salad for us once,it was great! You gave me the recipe but I can not find it. Can that be one of your future additions?

sladefamilyaz said...

I had so many recipes to get from you, but then I found out I was diabetic, which really puts a damper on things.